Position: Research Communication Theme Leader
Number Required: 1
Terms of employment: Position equivalent to Associate Dean
The office of research affairs has been coordinating research activities of the university since its establishment. The university has generated and disseminated knowledge and technologies for wider use in Ethiopia. Staff members and students continue to generate new technologies and knowledge that can contribute to local and national. However, visibility and limited communication of research outputs was recently identified as a major weakness of the research office in the newly designed ten-year strategic plan. Proper documentation and communication of research outputs has paramount importance for addressing existing communication gaps. The Research Affairs Office is organizing the Research Communication Office under the Research Extension and Publication Directorate (DREP) at the theme leader position which can positively contribute to the documentation and communication of the research outputs. For this purpose, the office would like to recruit a qualified and competent person for the position of Research Communication Theme Leader who is accountable to the DREP. Qualified Women are encouraged to apply.
- Develop communication strategies and plans to meet specified communication needs of the office of the research affairs;
- Lead the preparation and implementation of communication strategy and activity plan;
- Produce Radio and TV Programs for disseminating research activities, research results and emerging issues in collaboration with the University PR office. Work closely with researchers in developing communication programs and create awareness on research undertakings of the university to target users;
- Facilitate meetings, workshops, and forums for the research office in collaboration with concerned directors;
- Prepare and manage the dissemination of project training and extension materials in collaboration with researchers and leaders of externally funded research-cum-development projects;
- Draft, compile, document, and disseminate specific knowledge and information, key experiences and critical lessons related to research and development interventions of the Research Affairs Office. Develop information bulletins, magazines or newsletters: for publication in collaboration with the publication officer;
- Contribute to the research office website and social media channels through writings articles, documentary video, and audiovisual productions, maintaining and updating photo galleries/photographic records of events;
- Write publicity articles for the local and international media in Amharic, Afaan Oromo, and English languages (research activities, achievements and impacts);
- Follow up on partnership activities, collaborations and networking, and report on progress in collaboration with Director for Research Groups and Partnerships;
- Continually evaluate the success of communication strategy/internal and external communications
- Encourage learning and sharing of information to improve impact of communications and collaboration among stakeholders, target beneficiaries and2 other partners
- Contribute to demonstrating research accountability by building awareness of its progress, results and successes
- Strengthen the communication team in terms of human and material resources
- Perform any other similar and related duties assigned by the Director and Vice President for Research Affairs
A minimum of Master’s degree in communication, agricultural information and communication management, Journalism, or other relevant disciplines with at least two-years of work experience in written, oral, and online communications.
- Experience in developing different types of communication materials such as poster, newsletter, magazine, video clips, featured articles, research/policy briefs
- Experience in producing radio, TV Programs is a plus
- Proven experience in building and leading communication teams
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and facilitate conferences, workshops, meetings, seminars, etc.
- Extensive knowledge and conceptual understanding of the job of a communications officer, to take care of specialized technical as well as administrative functions of the job;
- Very good in computer skills particularly in website management, web publication, communication, document formatting, and related
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, Amharic and Afaan Oromo
- Ability to work with researchers, partners and other stakeholders.
Applicants should submit copies of non-returnable: –
1. Motivation letter 2. Curriculum Vitae 3. Evidence of experience in research and other university activities 4. Copies of credentials, and 5. Recommendation from previous supervisor
Applications should be submitted in person to the Office of Research Affairs Vice President (Old Administration Building) anytime during working hours from July 2 – July 15, 2021.