Muluken Gezahegn Wordofa
PhD:In Local Development and Global Dynamics, University of Trento, Italy
Telephone (Mob): +251 902 590665
E-mail Address: email@example.com
Postal Address: Haramaya University, PO BOX 138, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia
Leader, Innovation Systems and Impact Evaluation Sub-Theme (within Theme 5: Institutions, Innovation Systems, and Economic Development), Haramaya University, Ethiopia (12 August 2015 to date)
Coordinator and Supervisor, Village Stay Camp; Community-based Field Projects, Haramaya University, Ethiopia (2005 – 2008; 12 August 2015 to date)
Coordinator and Supervisor, Supervised Enterprise Projects (SEPs) – Haramaya University, Ethiopia (2005 – 2008; 12 August 2015 to date)
Reviewer and Evaluator, Proposals for Haramaya University Research Grant, 2015 to date
Facilitator, MOU between Haramaya University and ISSD-Hawassa University to sponsor Mid-career students at Haramaya University
Facilitator, MOU between STRECAFISH Project and Haramaya University to sponsor MSc students at Haramaya University, 28th June 2017
Facilitator, Gender-Parthenium Interaction project (leading to an MSc degree)
Knowledge of Statistical and Econometric Analysis/Tools
Very good knowledge on using STATA and SPSS for research data analysis: for instance, I used STATA to evaluate the impact of agricultural advisory services on household income (see doi:10.3390/socsci7010004). In this paper, I employed the Propensity Score Matching (PSM) through psmatch2 algorithm.
Very good knowledge on using LimDep and Nlogit to analyze non-market goods and services: for example, I used Nlogit to analyze the willingness to pay (WTP) for agricultural advisory services (AASs). In particular, through Discrete Choice Experiments (DCEs), I assessed the WTP for attributes describing improved AASs (see http://eprints-phd.biblio.unitn.it/1494/ ).
Very good knowledge on operating systems: Windows, McIntosh (Apple Ipad, MacBook)
Very good knowledge on MS-office (word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, etc)
Sisay Bedeke, Wouter Vanhove, Muluken Gezahegn, Kolandavel Natarajan, and Patrick Van Damme. 2018. Adoption of climate change adaptation strategies by maize-dependent smallholders in Ethiopia. NJAS-Wageningen Journal of Life Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.njas.2018.09.001
Wordofa, M.G., Sassi, M. (2018). Smallholder Farmers’ Participation in Agricultural Training and Demonstration in Ethiopia: Implications for Inclusive Targeting by Agricultural Extension Services. International Journal of Agricultural Science, Research and Technology in Extension and Education Systems, 8(3), 85-90.
Sisay B. Bedeke, Wouter Vanhove, Muluken G. Wordofa, Kolandavel Natarajan, and Patrick Van Damme. 2018. Vulnerability to climate change among maize-dependent smallholders in three districts of Ethiopia. Environment, Development and Sustainability, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10668-018-0215-y Springer Netherlands. Print ISSN 1387-585X. Online ISSN 1573-2975.
Sisay B. Bedeke, Wouter Vanhove, Muluken G. Wordofa, Kolandavel Natarajan, and Patrick Van Damme. 2018. Perception of and response to climate change by maize-dependent smallholders. Climate Research, 75 (3): 261-275. Print ISSN: 0936-577X; Online ISSN: 1616-1572. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3354/cr01524
Wordofa, M.G. and Sassi, M. 2018. Impact of Farmers’ Training Centers on Household Income: Evidence from Propensity Score Matching in Eastern Ethiopia. Social Sciences, 7 (1): 1 – 12. doi:10.3390/socsci7010004
Muluken Gezahegn Wordofa, Roberta Raffaelli, and Sandra Notaro. 2018. Smallholder Farmers’ Willingness to Pay for Improved Agricultural Advisory Services: Evidence from best-worst choice experiments in eastern Ethiopia. Proceedings of the 3rd Annual Professional Conference of the Ethiopian Society of Rural Development and Agricultural Extension. 29-30 December 2016. EIRA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Abadi, T., Gezahegn, M. and Teklehaimanot, A. 2017. Analysis of Factors Affecting Adoption of Exotic Chicken Breed Production in North Western Zone of Tigray, Ethiopia. Int. Journal of Economics, Commerce and Management, 5 (11): 127 – 137.
Kihoma, L., Wordofa, M.G. and Mvena, Z.S.K. 2017. The Contribution of Mobile Money Transfer in Marketing Agricultural Products of Women Involved in Agribusiness in Morogoro Municipality, Tanzania (paper under review)
Wordofa, M.G. and Sassi, M. 2014. ‘Examining Smallholder Farmers’ Intensity of Participation in On-farm Agricultural Advisory Services: a Case Study in Haramaya District, Eastern Ethiopia’. NAF International Working Paper Series Paper No. 14/9. Pavia: Natural Resources, Agricultural Development and Food Security International Research Network (NAF-IRN).
Wordofa, M.G. and Sassi, M. 2014. ‘Improving Smallholder Farmers’ Income through Farmer Training Centers: an Impact Evaluation in Haramaya District, Ethiopia’. NAF International Working Paper Series Paper No. 14/7. Pavia: Natural Resources, Agricultural Development and Food Security International Research Network (NAF-IRN).
Wordofa, M.G. (2011). Forest Extension Service Delivery: Implications for Participatory Forest Management (PFM). Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller GmbH & Co. KG.
Wordofa, M.G. (2011). Forest and Livelihoods in Developing Countries: Towards Sustainable Tropical Forest Management and Conservation. Germany: VDM Verlag Dr. Müller GmbH & Co. KG.
- Rapporteur for the Session “Innovative Institutional Arrangements and Practices for Enhancing Resilience” on the National Workshop on Building Resilience and Reducing Vulnerability in Moisture Stress Areas through Climate Smart Technologies and Innovative Practices. Hosted by Haramaya University in Collaboration with ZOA Relief | Hope | Recovery (15 – 16 January 2016 at Haramaya University Resource Center)
- Chairperson, March 8 (2016) Panel Discussion: Gender and Nutrition at Haramaya University
- Moderator, Workshop on Livestock Market System Challenges: from a Policy Perspective. 22 June 2016. Nogob Hotel, Jigjiga, Ethiopia.
- Introductory Remarks, Mid-career Supervised Enterprise Projects (SEPs) Workshop. 8-9 Feb. 2016. Haramaya University, Ethiopia
- Key Note Speaker and Panelist. National Technology Dissemination Workshop. Ethiopian Environment and Forest Research Institute (EEFRI). 19-20 Dec. 2016. Dire International Hotel, Adama.
- Panelist, Ethiopian Environment and Forest Research Institute. National Technology Dissemination Workshop. Ethiopian Environment and Forest Research Institute (EEFRI). 19-20 Dec. 2016. Dire International Hotel, Adama.
- External Evaluator, Research Project Proposals and Reports, Ethiopian Environment and Forest Research Institute (EEFRI). (date). EEFRI Main Campus, Addis Ababa.
Participation in Conferences and Workshops
- 6th Biennial Conference of the Ethiopian Horticultural Sciences Society (EHSS). Theme “Resilient Horticulture: Driver for Development and Environmental Sustainability”. 19-20 May 2017. Haramaya University, Ethiopia
- International Conference on Enhancing Pastoralists’ Livelihood and Resilience through Market Expansion. 17-18 March 2017. Haramaya University, Ethiopia
- 25th Jubilee Anniversary of the Ethiopian Society of Animal Production (ESAP). Theme ‘Livestock – A Driver for Economic Development’. 24-25 Aug. 2017. Haramaya University
- Mid-career Supervised Enterprise Projects (SEPs) Workshop. 05-Jul-17. Samara University, Ethiopia
International Workshop on Camel Dairy Technologies. 7 – 8 July 2016, Ras Hotel, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia.
- 33rd Annual Research and Extension Review Workshop. 21 – 23 April 2016. Haramaya University, Ethiopia.
- Workshop on Supervised Enterprise Project (SEP) Thesis Report and Proposal Presentation. Organized by Bahir Dar University and Sasakawa Africa Fund for Extension Education (SAFE). 23-24 Feb. 2016. Jacaranda Hotel, Bahir Dar, Ethiopia
- International Conference on Applied Statistics in Agriculture. Hosted by Haramaya University, Department of Statistics. 25 – 27 March 2016. HU Resource Center
- National Conference on Agricultural Value Chains for Food Security and Pro-poor Development. 16-17 Dec. 2016. Haramaya University, Ethiopia
- The 5th Annual Conference on Eastern Ethiopia Economic Development. Organized by Ethiopian Economic Association (EEA), College of Business and Economics (Haramaya University). 26 Nov. 2016. Haramaya University
- Farmers’ and Researchers’ Field Day. Organized by the Office of the Vice-President for Research Affairs. 13 Oct. 2016. Haramaya University
- 2nd Annual Professional Conference of the Ethiopian Society of Rural Development and Agricultural Extension (ESRDAE). Theme: The Role of Agricultural Extension in Sustainable Agricultural Development. 11 – 12 October 2015, Hilton Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- African Forum for Agricultural Advisory Services (AFAAS) Second Africa Wide Agricultural Extension Week, 2015. I: “Reinvigorating Extension Services for Market-led Agriculture within the Context of the Malabo Declaration”. Hosted by Ministry of Agriculture, Ethiopia. 12 – 16 October 2015, Hilton Hotel, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Integrated Seed System Development (ISSD) Oromia East Unit Regional Workshop. 27 Oct. 2015 (HU, Ethiopia)
- Italian Economic Association. 55th Annual Conference. Department of Economics and Management, University of Trento. Trento, Italy. (23-25 Oct. 2014).
- Conference on Structural Change and Growth and Employment Challenges in the Advanced Economics. By Prof. Michael Spence (Nobel Prize for Economics 2001). Trento, Italy. (8 Feb. 2013).
- Seminar on The Arab Uprisings: Political Islam and the Arab Uprisings. The case of the Lybian Uprising – the experience of an Italian Diplomat. By Profs. Massimiliano Lagi, Massimo Campanini, and Sara Lorenzini. School of International Studies, University of Trento. Trento, Italy. (8 May 2012).
- Workshop on The Democratization of the European Polity – Regress or Under-exploited Potential. Speakers: Profs. William Outhwaite, Simona Piattoni, and Jiri Priban. Trento, Italy. (5 June 2012).
- Summer School in Development Economics. Organized by The Italian Development Economist Association (IDEAS), the Departments of Economics of the Universities of Salerno, Trento and Verona. Ascea, Italy. (18-22 June 2012).
- OPENLOC Workshop on Knowledge and Production Networks for Sustainable Local Development. Centro Congressi Panorama, Strada alla Funivia, 66, 38123 Sardagna, Trento, Italy. (12 Dec. 2011).
- Seminar on Business Environment in Russian Regions. By Prof. Victoria Petrova. Trento, Italy. (26 Oct. 2011).
- Workshop on Deliberative Politics, Local Democracy and Social Implications. By Profs. Gyorgy Lengyel and John McGowan. Trento, Italy. (25 Oct 2011).
- Seminar on Integrating the SME Sector with the Market: Assisting the Private Sector for Local Development. By Prof. Sirimal Abeyratne. Trento, Italy. (2011).
- Seminar on Family Business Development: A Theoretical Overview and Empirical Evidence: the Case of Poland). By Prof. Jan Jezak (University of Lodz, Poland). Trento, Italy. (2011).
- Project Proposal Writing Workshop. Organized by College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences of Haramaya University and Regional Universities Forum for Capacity Building in Agriculture (RUFORUM). 26-27 Sep. 2011 (HU, Ethiopia)
Agriculture includes crop and livestock farming, pastoralism, fisheries and all other value chain actors in the innovation system.
About The Theme
Lack of relevant knowledge, technologies, and innovations as well as poor dissemination and adoption of existing ones are a major constraint to development in Ethiopia. This is basically attributed to inefficiencies in taking research results to socio-economic outcomes. Other studies have identified ‘knowledge gap’ which is due to failure to produce the requisite critical number of skilled innovators and capacity development for technology and knowledge generation and dissemination.