Theme III. Energy, Engineering, and Information Technologies
Deribachew Bekana (PhD)
Academic rank: Assistant Professor
Specialization: Analytical Chemistry
Research interests: Synthesis and self-assembly of plasmonic nanoparticles; Nanomaterials-based sensors and assays; SERS-based methods and green chemistry
Telephone (Mob): +251 91 221 3485
Telephone (Office): Tel:+251 25 553 0394
- Deribachew Bekana, Rui Liu, Shasha Li, Jingfu Liu, 2019. Fabrication of nanoporous silver film by dealloying Ag/α-Fe2O3 nanocomposite for surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 286, 94-100.
- Shasha Li, Rui Liu, Deribachew Bekana, Yujuan Lai, Jingfu Liu, 2018. Self-assembly of supramolecular nanotubes/microtubes from 3, 5-dimethyl-4-iodopyrazole for plasmonic nanoparticle organization, Nanoscale 10 (44), 20804-20812.
- Deribachew Bekana, Rui Liu, Shasha Li, Y Lai, Jingfu Liu, 2018. Facile fabrication of silver nanoparticle decorated α-Fe2O3 nanoflakes as ultrasensitive surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy substrates, Analytica Chimica Acta 1006, 74-82.
- Rui Liu, H Chen, L Fang, C Xu, Z He, Y Lai, H Zhao, Deribachew Bekana, Jingfu Liu, 2018. Au@Pd Bimetallic Nanocatalyst for Carbon–Halogen Bond Cleavage: An Old Story with New Insight into How the Activity of Pd is Influenced by Au. Environmental Science & Technology 52 (7), 4244-4255.
- Rui Liu, Hao Zhao, X Zhao, Z He, Yujuan Lai, Wanyu Shan, Deribachew Bekana, G Li, Jingfu Liu, 2018. Defect Sites in Ultrathin Pd Nanowires Facilitate the Highly Efficient Electrochemical Hydrodechlorination of Pollutants by H*ads. Environmental Science & Technology 52 (17), 9992-10002.
- Meseret Amde, Jingfu Liu, Zhi-Qiang Tan, Deribachew Bekana, 2017. Transformation and bioavailability of metal oxide nanoparticles in aquatic and terrestrial environments. A review. Environmental Pollution, 230, 250-267.
- Deribachew Bekana, Rui Liu, Meseret Amde, Jingfu Liu, 2017. Use of polycrystalline ice for assembly of large area Au nanoparticle superstructures as SERS substrates. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 9 (1), 513-520.
- Meseret Amde, Jingfu Liu, Zhi-Qiang Tan, Deribachew Bekana, 2016. Ionic liquid-based zinc oxide nanofluid for vortex assisted liquid liquid microextraction of inorganic mercury in environmental waters prior to cold vapor atomic fluorescence, Talanta 149, 341-346
- Deribachew Bekana, Meseret Amde, Nigussie-Dechassa R, Abi M Taddese, 2015. Selected heavy metals in some vegetables produced through wastewater irrigation and their toxicological implications in Eastern Ethiopia. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition and Development, 15 (3), 10013-10032.
- Deribachew Bekana, Tesfahun Kebede, Mulugeta Assefa, Hailemariam Kassa, 2014. Comparative Phytochemical Analyses of Resins of Boswellia Species (B. papyrifera (Del.) Hochst., B. neglecta S. Moore, and B. rivae Engl.) from Northwestern. ISRN Analytical Chemistry, 374678, 1-9.
About The Theme
This theme includes engineering and information technologies, energy, manufacturing, metal industry, power industry, food analysis, agricultural machinery, and emerging research areas.
This research them identifies a number of technology missions for significant targeted investment in key technology fields that are important for the development of the agricultural, health, and industrial sectors of Ethiopia. These include the engineering and information technology platforms. Thus, technologies for manufacturing and for leveraging resource-based industries such as agriculture, fishing and forestry, mining, power industries, and minerals and energy production will be emphasised. The areas of research include the following technology missions and technology platforms: information communications technology (ICT); farm implements; farm power and agricultural machinery; manufacturing and resource-based industries; manufacturing; power; new emerging research areas such as nanotechnology; synthetic biology etc.